The Department of Chemistry has a great tradition of academicians and administrators. Dr. D.R. Shekhawat, Founder President of VBSM headed this department and it was followed by Dr. K. N. Patil (Ex-Principal), Dr. A. G. Doshi and Dr. D. T. Mahajan. To add further, Dr. P.R. Rajput and Dr. P. R. Solanki contributed a great deal in enhancing the glory of the Department. During the tenure of these stalwarts the department has emerged as an excellent center of education for Under-graduate and Post-Graduate courses.
The Department has the privilege and distinction of successfully running P.G. course (M.Sc. Chemistry) of SGBAU itself, in this campus. This indicates and highlights the faith in the competence, sufficiency and excellence of the Department in terms of its faculty and infrastructure. Due to this firsthand experience the department has started the P.G. course from1992 and also recognized as a prestigious research centre in the subject of Chemistry. The department has gained prodigious reputation due to availability of sophisticated instruments like FT-IR Spectrophotometer, IR Affinity, HPLC, UV-Visible Spectrophotometer, Digital Density Meter, Digital Viscometer, Digital Ultrasonic Interferometer, Microprocessor Controlled Oven, Rotary Vaccum Evaporator, Digital Polarimeter, Trinocular Research Pathological Microscope, Scientific Microwave System, a few to mention. Consequently, the publications of research paper has reached to milestone figure of 322 (till 2018-19) and contributed significantly in the completion 01 Major and 07 Minor research projects sanctioned by various funding agencies. As a result, the faculty has contributed as resource person for national and international conferences, seminars and workshops, in India and abroad. Forty three research scholars of the department have been conferred Ph.D. degree by prestigious universities. A number of students have qualified various competitive examinations like NET/SET/GATE/GRE/TOFFEL etc. Dr. P. R. Rajput, the Best Teacher awardee in 2012 by the Government of Maharashtra, disseminated the idea of ‘Yoga and Meditation’ for students, which is now being shouldered by Dr. V. V. Parhate, the present Head and by Capt. Dr. M. M.Rathore. The faculty members have rendered their services on the different bodies of the Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Amravati like Board of Examination, Board of Studies, etc.
Area of Research
• Heterocyclic Chemistry
• Medicinal Chemistry
• Drug Designing
• Physicochemical Study
• Agricultural Chemistry
• Complexes in solution
• Computational Drug Discovery
• Organic synthesis
• Physical parameters of heterocyclic compounds
• Lecture method
Chalk and talk, models, charts demonstration. The lectures with collaboration of boards and audio-visual aids and videos that makes chemistry more alive.
• Remedial Teaching
Remedial teaching for Slow Learners.
• Remedial Teaching
Visit to Research Institute, Industries and Museums, Field Trips.
• Collaborative Learning:
Exchange of learning ideas with colleges around city.
• Participatory Learning:
Organized Chem puzzles, Seminars etc.
• Google classroom:
Google classroom is used to give assignments and study materials; to upload question papers and additional information to the students.
• Use of ICT tools:
• Use of LCD:
YouTube links of the Video Clips of the prescribed topics,Animations etc.
• Laboratory work :
• Guest Lectures :
To make the students aware of current trends in Chemistry as well as to develop interest in Chemistry, department organizes Guest Lectures of Eminent Personalities for UG as well as PG students.
Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities
• National/State level conference/workshop/Seminar/Other activities organized by department
• National conference on ‘Emerging Trends in Science (3-4 Feb. 2019)
• One day workshop on Safety in Chemical Laboratory (March 2019)
• University Level Seminar Completion for B.Sc. II Year Students in Collaboration with AUCTA (Sept.2019)
• Intercollegiate Seminar Competition for M. Sc. II Year Students (Feb. 2017)
• One day Workshop on ‘Pursuing Research in New Contests at SGBAU’ (Aug. 2017)
• One Day Workshop on ‘Research Methodology & Perspectives’ (Nov. 2017)
• One day Workshop on ‘Amala Prakriya Prashikshan’ (Nov. 2017)
• One Day Workshop on ‘Patent and It`s Perspectives’ (April 2016)
• Two days ‘Workshop on Career opportunities in organic chemistry’ (23- 24 Mar.2015)
• One day Workshop on ‘Research Paper Writing.’
• R. R. Lahoti Science College, Amravati
• Patanjali Yog Samiti, Amravati